Pages

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Poached Egg Salad with Sweet Chipotle Dressing


If you don't know, I am in love with poached eggs. The first time I ate a poached egg was at a joint called Blue Plate Diner in Salt Lake City, UT (highly recommended). I ordered the eggs benedict. It was love at first bite. Since then, I have thinking of ways to incorporate poached eggs into dishes. Well I am a salad connoisseur, so I decided to put a poached egg on my salad. It was amazing! The Sweet Chipotle Dressing makes is a great companion to this lovely salad.


Poached Egg Salad

  • a bed of greens (romaine is recommended)
  • 1 tomato, diced
  • 1/4 onion, chopped
  • 1 carrot, chopped
  • 1/2 avocado, sliced
  • 1/2 cup beans (any type), seasoned with cinnamon, cumin, garlic
  • 1/2 cup corn, seasoned with salt and pepper
  • 1 poached egg
  • 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar

Directions
Lay all ingredients on the chopped lettuce, in a pattern. (I like this because it lets me pick and choose which toppings I eat. I know, I am a weirdo.) Place poached egg in the middle. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Drizzle salad with balsamic vinegar. Top with Sweet Chipotle Dressing (see below).
*Never poached an egg before? No worries, click here to see how: It's Egg Poaching Time!
**Tip: Rather than free-handing it, simply oil a canning jar lid and poach your egg in there (in simmering water of course), or just buy an egg poacher.


Sweet Chipotle Dressing

  • 1 tablespoon chopped onion
  • 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
  • 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
  • 2/3 cup vinegar (rice wine, white, or balsamic)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 1-2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (seeds removed)
  • 1 cup plain yogurt
  • 1/2 cup olive oil

Directions
Combine all ingredients (except olive oil) in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth. While blade is running, pour olive oil in a small stream into mixture. Blend until smooth. Adjust seasonings to taste.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...