Pages

Friday, February 5, 2010

Applesauce!

 
APPLESAUCE! Yes, you can actually make it rather than buy it...it's a miracle! If you want it really smooth: cook the apples longer and put them in the blender. For me, I like it to be a bit chunky :) Enjoy!

Sarah's Applesauce
4 apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
2 c. water
1/4 c. sugar or any other sweetener
1-2 T. cinnamon
1/4 t. nutmeg
*Put apples in a pot, add in all the ingredients and stir. Cook on high heat (uncovered), stirring constantly, for about 15-20 minutes. (Other people usually cook them on low, but I like to get things done fast, so I like this method better). When soft, put the apples in a large bowl and either mash them with a potato masher or with a hand-held mixer, or blender for a smoother texture. (I prefer the hand-held mixer). Mix until you reach the texture you desire.  For easy pouring, put the applesauce into a baggie and snip the corner. It will work as a spout as you pour into a canning jar or any other small-mouthed container. Put applesauce in fridge as it will taste better when it is cooled.
**I don't throw away the peelings...I put them in a small pot with sugar, spices, and water and boil them down. Then I puree this in the blender while adding in something like dried cranberries (and additional water). The result: Apple Butter! It's really yummy on toast :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...